We don’t often link to other sites but sometimes it’s just too, too good not to! How about this delicious, Summer ‘fruitcake’ that appeared on my Facebook feed recently from Raisingjane.org?
PISTACHIO MELON CAKE WITH COCONUT FROSTING
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES, PLUS 2 HOURS CHILLING
MAKES: 8 SERVINGS
2 ¾” thick slices watermelon (seedless)
1 ¾” thick slice cantaloupe
1 ¾” thick slice honeydew
4 13.5 oz cans coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ t almond extract
¾ cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
½ cup blueberries
1. Stack all of the melon slices on top of each other, and cut inside the rind of the smallest round, creating four pieces of melon that are uniform in size.
2. Remove the seeds from the cantaloupe and honeydew. Set melon slices aside.
3. Scoop the coconut cream off the top of the coconut milk and place in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, mix until smooth.
4. Add powdered sugar and almond extract; mix until smooth.
5. Pat a slice of watermelon dry with a paper towel and place on a serving plate. Add a generous layer of coconut frosting. Pat cantaloupe dry and add to cake, add another generous layer of frosting, pat honeydew dry and add to cake.
6. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup pistachios and ¾ cup coconut frosting. Use it to fill in the center of the cantaloupe and honeydew.
7. Add another generous layer of frosting. Pat the final slice of watermelon dry and add to the top of the cake.
8. Frost the entire cake and garnish with remaining pistachios and blueberries. Chill for 2 hours before serving.
Visit the site for the step-by-step how-to great photos and many other delicious recipes. And imagine how you could adapt this recipe. You could make smaller, cupcake-sized versions from smaller fruits.