I’m a sucker for pushing technology to the limits. I love the idea of a flying car although I’m sure that the government would spoil all the fun by regulating the bejesus out them. But check out this fabulous craft.
It’s from Terrafugia. It’s their new Outer Mold Line for the TF-X™, Terrafugia’s vision for the future of personal transportation. The TF-X™ will be a four-seat, vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) hybrid electric aircraft. Visit terrafugia.com for more information.
TF-XTM Quick Facts:
- Timeline: The TF-X™ is still in the early stages of development, with a production date estimated at 8-12 years in the future.
- Pricing: The price will be consistent with high-end luxury cars. More specific pricing information will become available as we progress in the development of the TF-X™ program.
- Range: the TF-X™ will have a range of 500 miles with cruise speeds up to 200mph.
- Operating the TF-X™ should be statistically safer than driving a modern automobile.
- The TF-X™ will be capable of automatically avoiding other air traffic, bad weather, and restricted and tower-controlled airspace.
- The TF-X™ will have a backup full-vehicle parachute system which can be activated by the operator in an emergency if the operator believes the TF-X™ to be incapable of auto-landing.
- If a TF-X™ operator declares an emergency (which will automatically notify authorities of the situation), the TF-X™ can be landed in non-approved landing zones.
- If the operator becomes unresponsive, the TF-X™ would automatically implement an emergency auto-land at the nearest airport.
- Learning how to safely operate the TF-X™ will take substantially less time than would be required for a traditional aircraft.
- The TF-X™ will give the operator significant freedom in flight – controlled in a manner similar to steering a car.
- The TF-X™ will be able to fly in either “manual” or “automatic” modes between approved landing zones or airports.
- The TF-X™ will carry four people in car-like comfort.
- The TF-X™ will have a non-stop flight range of at least 500 miles.
- The TF-X™ will fit into a standard construction single car garage.
- The TF-X™ will be able to take off vertically from a level clearing of at least 100ft in diameter.
- The TF-X™ will be able to drive on roads and highways – providing true door-to-door convenience and an automotive level of weather insensitivity.
Find out more on the Terrafugia website.