This homemade Christmas tree food keeps your tree fresh and your kids and pets safe

5590
Photo credit: Donny Ferguson, with permission
Photo credit: Donny Ferguson, with permission

You love live Christmas trees.

But you hate watching it turn brown and vacuuming up needles.

You wish you could do more than just pour water in the stand, but you have kids and a dog.

Well, this could help.

Here’s a very simple, easy recipe for liquid Christmas free food that’s safe and completely non-toxic.

It will keep your tree green, fresh and fragrant, and it’s safe to use around kids and pets.

Here’s what you need:

* One gallon of hot water
* A pint of corn syrup
* 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar

Simply mix them together and stir until the syrup is dissolved.

Even though it’s been cut off from its roots a Christmas tree is still just as much a living tree as one in the forest, so it needs to be constantly watered and fed. The food works because of its three component:

WATER: The water keeps the tree hydrated.
SUGAR: The syrup feeds the tree essential sugars that would normally be made by the roots (that’s why sap is so sweet.)
ACID: The apple cider vinegar not only keep the tree take in water, it keeps the water from spoiling or attracting mildew and mold.

It’s good for four to five days at room temperature, or two weeks refrigerated.

Note: You can substitute lemon, lime or orange juice if you don’t have apple cider vinegar.