Here’s a Civics test from 1954. I hope Kenny Hignite who scored 98.5 on this test went on to be an Attorney General somewhere!
Here are the questions!
1-20: List the cabinet positions and the people who hold these positions at the present time. [There are more cabinet positions now than in 1954.]
20-29: Give the names of the nine justices of the Supreme Court.
30-51: Tell the provisions of each of the amendments to the Constitution. [There are now 27 amendments.]
52. What is the Bill Of Rights?
53. Who is the President of the U.S.?
54. Who is the Vice-President of the U.S.?
55. What is an unwritten law?
57. Two things necessary to any good government are ___.
58. The plan of government for the U.S. is the ___.
59. A constitutional law is ___.
60. An unconstitutional law is ___.
61. A law is declared unconstitutional by the ___.
62. The President chooses a cabinet in order to ___.
63. The Constitution grants all lawmaking powers to ___.
64-65. The two houses of Congress are ___ and ____.
66. The Constitution established two houses of Congress because ___.
67. The number of representatives from each state is determined by ___.
68. The Speaker of the House is ___.
69. The number of Senators from each state is ___.
70. A Senator is elected for ___.
71. The presiding officer of the Senate is ___.
72. The Vice-President does not have a vote in the Senate unless ___.
73. A president pro tempore is ___.
74. The life of each Congress is ___.
75. Congress convenes in regular session on ___.
76. The president may call Congress into session ___.
77. The power to enforce the laws is given to ___.
78. The President’s term of office is ___.
79. If a President dies, he is succeeded by ___.
80. The President must be a ___ citizen.
81. How old must a President be?
82. The oath of office is administered to the President by ___.
83. The President takes office on ___.
84. The President can make treaties if ___.
85. The highest law of the land is ___.
86. The Supreme Court may annul laws if___.
87. A quorum for Congress is ___.
88. A filibuster is ___.
89. The number of Supreme Court justices is ___.
90. A write of habeus corpus is ___.
91. A bill of attainder is ___.
92. An ex post fact law is ___.
93. A reprieve is ___.
94. A pardon is ___.
95. Who regulates inter-state commerce?
96. What is naturalization?
97. What is piracy?
98. Does a dictator consider the welfare of the people?
99. Can a government function without the power to raise money?
100. Do wealth and power alone make a nation happy?
100 (Because 56 is missing) Write the preamble to the Constitution. Yes, that’s what it says. From memory!