Organic and easy on your skin
Some people prefer not to use alcohol in their hand sanitizer, for religious reason or because alcohol has a strong smell and can have a severe drying effect on skin. Using a witch-hazel based sanitizer is a great alternative. Witch hazel has been used to fight types of viral infections for millenia. Tea tree oil provides additional known antiseptic benefits.
Here’s what you’ll need.
- 1 cup pure aloe vera gel (preferably without additives)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons witch hazel
- 30 drops tea tree oil
- 5 drops essential oil, such as lavender or peppermint
- Mixing bowl
- Plastic container (travel and pump)
Stir together the aloe vera gel, tea tree oil and witch hazel. If the mixture seems too thin, add another spoonful of aloe vera to thicken it. If it’s too thick, add another spoonful of witch hazel.
Funnel the mixture into the container. Place the funnel over the mouth of the container and pour the hand sanitizer in. Fill it up, then screw on the lid until you’re ready to use it.
- A small squirt bottle works well if you want to carry the sanitizer with you throughout the day.
- If you make too much for the bottle, save the