Laura, a 40-year-old mother to a wonderful six-year-old boy named Gael, recently purchased fish from a local market in San Jose and cooked herself dinner after a long day. Little did she know that this simple act would change her life forever. The following day, Laura realized something was terribly wrong, and she was diagnosed with Vibrio Vulnificus, a dangerous bacterial infection.
Laura has been in the hospital for over a month, fighting for her life, she is now a quadruple amputee. On September 13, 2023 all four of Lauras’ limbs had to be removed in order to save her life.
The Centers for Disease Control recently issued a statement about vibrio vulnificus, which states that “[m]any people with Vibrio vulnificusinfection require intensive care or limb amputations, and about 1 in 5 people with this infection die, sometimes within a day or two of becoming ill.”
Vibrio vulnificus is the infection Barajas is believed to have contracted, though this has not been confirmed. Some Vibrio vulnificus infections lead to necrotizing fasciitis, a severe infection in which the flesh around an open wound dies. Some media reports call this kind of infection “flesh-eating bacteria,” even though necrotizing fasciitis can be caused by more than one type of bacteria. CDC
California woman loses limbs after bacterial infection from undercooked fish: report https://t.co/o0OHN1cvLt— TheBlaze (@theblaze) September 17, 2023